Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blog post about blog posts

Happy New Year everyone!
Have you made resolutions? Are you getting organized? Do you still have that positive, "This year will be better, I just know it." attitude you felt at the stroke of midnight on December 31st?

Typically, I make no huge promises on December 31st or January 1st that will set me up for more pressure than I already feel on a daily basis. I resolve every day to do better than the day before, and that is just about all I can handle. Sure. I would love to lose 20 pounds, exercise more often, keep in touch with my friends better, and blog twice a much. I'm trying to do all of that and continue to paint and grow as a painter, increase my marketing and business strategies, and volunteer in organizations. But really, aren't all of us trying to do similar things and millions more? So what's so special about any of that?

I have decided that I need your help. As I drive from home to the studio, I brainstorm on ideas for blogging. Sometimes they are worthy of the few minutes it takes for me to write them, but how often are they worthy of the time it takes for you to read them? So please, send me questions, your ideas, things that would make good use of your time. I'll start a running list and, whenever possible, pull from the and use them. For instance, are you interested in instructional blogs? Organizational skills for artists? Historical figures? Resources and reading? Or what???

Thank you in advance for your ideas and help. Let's get the ball rolling!

12 comments:

Linda said...

Lori, I really love your little demos the best. Watch them over and over, so helpful to me, one of your former students, Linda

Lori Putnam said...

Great Linda! I'll be sure to post more of those. Thank you for letting me know.

Denise Rose said...

I also like those plus the instructional talks that you have done, like about color and paint mixing, maybe something about how you choose your compositions when outside and also in doing still life setups, etc. You just seem to be able to explain things so well in words and many artists can't do that! Must be something about the visual concentration we have! Anyway, I like all of your posts!

Lois said...

Well, let's see... instructional talks, demos, organizational skills, and anything else that you would be able to share with artists that are trying to follow the path of the artist's life and make a living at it. I find your postings to be honest and forthright and encouraging to read. Thanks for taking the time to share your insights with us all.

Celeste Bergin said...

Honestly...I like everything about your blog...just the way it is...it's a really good mix of instruction and "other things". I can't think how you could improve it!

Lori Putnam said...

I've gotten so many great comments both here and via email. Look out 2011... here we go!

Tiffany Foss said...

I look forward to more too! I'm always looking to learn that thing that pushes a 'middle of the road' painting into one that excels.. drama, composition, color.. all that stuff!! Thanks for what you have already posted, it's wonderful! I look forward to the w/s in Memphis!

Lori Putnam said...

Thanks Tiffany!

Lighting the Candle said...

I just found your blog and am so excited to see what you post next. I am a self-taught artist and am always looking to learn new things. Thank you so much for your instructions!

Lori Putnam said...

THANKS!

Susan Williamson said...

Demos and instructional videos ...oh yes! These are like artist drugs for me since I can't seem to get enough. I am newly acquainted with your blog and don't know where to find the instructional talks that alot of folks mention in their comments but will keep looking. Organizational and techie skills to some extent so that we can keep track of paintings, shows, clients, and materials. Thank you for asking.

Dottie Leatherwood said...

As someone who loves to study your paintings, I would say instruction or your thoughts on the process. Actually, we all probably soak up your words like a sponge no matter what they are :) Thanks for sharing!